Pages

24 July 2009

Jay Brannan LIVE in Portland OR



Singer, songwriter and actor (Shortbus), Jay Brannan is a multi-talented artist. I missed him the last time he was in Portland. When I heard he would be stopping again in the Rose City, I made sure to get a ticket.

One of my favorite songs is his cover of "The Freshmen" by the Verve Pipe. Unfortunately he will probably not get to perform it in Portland as the location, Doug Fir, does not have a piano.

Below is a story that my friend and contributor to his blog, DeWayne, posted after the release of "The Freshmen":


The Freshmen
(cover) by Jay Brannan

One of my favorite songs from a few years back is The Verve Pipe The Freshmen (1996), you know a song is destined to be a classic when it starts getting covered. Jay has his own unique style and here the self-promoted You Tube Songster provides an honest spare take on a beautiful song.

A little rough (sound quality here) but the reaction to this and other cover interpretation’s by Jay has resulted in a top selling single on iTunes. In July the full Album “in Living Cover” will be released. Check it out. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment